Stewards of Children teaches adults how to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse. This 3 hour program developed by Darkness to Light is designed for individuals concerned about the safety of children as well as organizations that serve youth. Stewards of Children is the only nationally distributed program proven to increase knowledge, improve attitudes, and change child protective behaviors.
In East Alabama, Stewards of Children is led by Dr. Polly Dunn, Authorized Facilitator of Darkness to Light. Engaging and thought provoking, group led sessions include:
- A three-part DVD presentation with commentary from sexual abuse survivors, experts in the field and concerned adults.
- Facilitator-led discussion emphasizes important issues in prevention within the community and organizations that serve children.
- An interactive workbook facilitates discussion, reinforces key concepts and serves as a resource and personal action plan for resolving child sexual abuse.
- A certificate of completion that can be used for 3 Continuing Education Hours (social workers, counselors, psychologists, and more) or other training hours.
Dr. Dunn offers public trainings at Transformations Life Center or private workshops can be provided at your facility (school, church, daycare, health care provider, parent group, business, etc.). Attendance is $25 per person, although reduced rates are available for large groups. Dr. Dunn’s public events are advertised on the Prevent Child Sexual Abuse In East Alabama Facebook Page. Here’s what some of her recent workshop participants had to say about Stewards of Children:
- Kudos to Dr. Polly Dunn and her Stewards of Children Adults Protecting Children from Sexual Abuse program. It was a privilege to get this invaluable training, not only as a parent, but as someone whose job is to protect ANY child in my care. The statistics are staggering, but if I can save just ONE child from sexual abuse by knowing and reporting the signs, I consider it well worth the time and miniscule cost! My goal is for my preschool staff to complete this training so that we will be a ‘Partner in Prevention’ with ‘Darkness to Light’ and people will know, we WILL not let abuse happen on our watch!
- This was a wonderful training. I would encourage everyone to take it.
- It is something everyone needs!! Please help us spread the word!!! It is great!!
- The ‘Darkness to Light’ Stewards of Children is a fabulous program geared toward everyone in the community. Each person should be familiar with the knowledge this workshop offers in order to keep our children safe.
- As the therapist for the Child Advocacy Center of East Alabama, the facts presented by ‘Darkness to Light’ Stewards of Children were not new. However, the presentation was fantastic and it reminded me that if our community were educated properly, maybe those of us that work at the Child Advocacy Center would see fewer children who suffer from abuse walk through our doors each year. The adults in Lee County need to be empowered through awareness so that they can help prevent child abuse!
- This is a must for parents that want to protect their own children and for communities that want to protect all of the children they serve.
- Great class! So thankful I took it!
- Attended an amazing class tonight facilitated by Dr. Polly Dunn called ‘Darkness to Light’ Stewards of Children. It’s an amazing training program that teaches you exactly what you need to know to protect children from child sexual abuse. I learned so many practical ways that I can talk to and equip my children to protect them from predators. Did you know that 1 in 4 girls are sexually abused, and 1 in 6 boys? Great information for ANYONE who comes in contact with children. I HIGHLY recommend this seminar. The program is approved for 3 contact hours of continuing education by The National Association of Social Workers and the National Board for Certified Counselors. Dr. Dunn will be hosting many classes in the future. Stay Tuned!
If you are not in the East Alabama area, facilitators are available throughout the U.S. and internationally. A schedule of upcoming sessions is available for most states and online training is also offered through Darkness to Light.